Fresh summer veg and fresh colours are supposed to be the right thing for this time of the year. You know, summer. Only that summer seems to have taken a break over the last week or so. Torrential rain, grey skies and temperatures well below what they should be make for a fairly depressing August. Well, it does is if you're well and truly "into" summer, which, if I'm really honest, I'm not to that extent. I mean, I like summer, the warmth, the green of the trees and I do like to soak up the sunshine and spend time sipping a cold white wine in a café, but I'm not a natural summer person. I don't dream of long beach holidays because they bore me, I don't tan easily (my legs don't tan at all!) and after a month of continuous sunshine max I'm ready for some rain and clouds. So, well, it's not really the end of the world for me.
When it comes to food then, whether it's summer or winter, I very much steer towards comfort and it doesn't matter which season I'm in because it tends to depend more on my mood rather than the outside temperature. That doesn't mean that I'm making stew for a picnic, but it does mean that I'm looking to make seasonal dishes comforting. There are days when I'm happy with some lettuce and grilled chicken, but there are also many more times when I want something more substantial with a variety of flavours. The more substantial thing would be something like this grain and veg bowl packed full of flavour and certainly more comforting than lettuce. Oh, and it has feta cheese in it which I love. I suppose you could leave the cheese out and it'd be a vegan dish. And I have also teamed the leftovers with tuna which was really good...
Ingredients for the grain bowl that will feed four:
- 150g dried lentils
- 100g quinoa
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- 3 red peppers
- 300g small tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- 200g feta cheese
- 150g sliced black olives
- 1/2 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley
- juice of 1 lemon
- 5tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- coarsely ground himalayan pink salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
And here's how it's done:
- preheat your oven to 225C with the grill/top heat on
- cover a baking tray with tinfoil and brush with olive oil
- peel and cube the sweet potatoes and distribute on the baking tray
- brush with olive oil and season with a little salt
- turning them once, roast the potatoes for about 15 minutes, then set aside
- cut the peppers length-wise into strips, place onto the baking tray skin up
- brush with olive oil
- roast until the skin is charred - around 7 minutes
- take the peppers out of the oven and leave to cool
- cook the lentils and quinoa (separately!) which will take up to half an hour (depending on brand etc.)
- once cooked, rinse with cold water
- now you can assemble the bowl
- arrange the lentils, sweet potatoes and quinoa into heaps in the bowl
- cut the tomatoes into halves, peel and slice the avocados
- arrange the pepper strips, tomatoes and avocado slices in the bowl
- add the feta cheese and sliced olives
- roughly chop the parsley and add
- now add the lemon juice, olive oil and season with the salt and pepper
- leave to "soak" for an hour before serving
And now the part you've been waiting for (and thank you for reading far enough to get to it!): the giveaway! See that beautiful, Large Nordic Sand Bowl by Broste Copenhagen - yes, the really large one? Well, I've teamed up with Rigby&Mac to offer you the chance of winning it! Yes, one lucky person could win this fabulous bowl from their new winter range which will easily fit enough grains, pulses and veg (and feta cheese!) into it to feed some very hungry people.
So, to be in with a chance to win it, here's what you'll need to do:
- For one chance: Browse the Rigby&Mac website and leave a comment HERE telling us which pieces would complete your dinner table.
- For a second chance: Hop over to Instagram and follow @mademoisellepoirot and @rigbyandmac, regram any pic of the Large Nordic Sand Bowl tagging @mademoisellepoirot and @rigbyandmac and don't forget to INCLUDE THE HASHTAG #rigbyandmacgiveaway
The competition ends at midnight (GMT) on Sunday 23rd August. The winner will be drawn randomly by Rigby&Mac on Monday the 24th August. The competition is open to mainland UK entrants only.
Thank you so much from myself and Rigby&Mac to every single one of you who entered this little giveaway. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to give a bowl to each and every one of you, there can be only one winner...
AND THE WINNER IS... (drumroll please): Lucy Camilla! Congratulations!!!
Please send your details to email@example.com and I will forward them to Rigby&Mac for you to receive your Broste Copenhagen Nordic Sand Bowl.